Friday, July 10, 2009

Recycling #5 Plastic?


Well, I don't know if this is a problem where you live, but the city of Greensboro's recycling program only accepts #1 and #2 plastics. (thin, usually clear plastic. think Starbucks cold beverage cup.) So what they don't accept is #s 5, 6, or 7. Most things that I avoid buying end up being #5. Plastic cups, yogurt cups, (hard to avoid), detergent bottles, butter tubs, etc.

I knew that Preserve had a program where you can mail in your #5 plastic for recycling but they are based in New York and it just seems like a long way to mail something. But while on their website reading about it, I found a great site where you can search for a place near you that recycles whatever it is you have. Just type in the material and your location. Neat! I typed #5 plastic and my zip code. And voila! A place in Greensboro called Salvage America that recycles (and buys!) lots of things you would otherwise have to throw away.

Another great thing about Preserve worth mentioning, you can mail them your Brita water filters to be recycled. Pretty sweet.

As for me, I don't know yet which makes more sense, saving up #5s in a box and mailing it or making time to drive to the salvage place. (I'm always thinking about how my time = $ ... ) But both seem like great options compared to having to throw your #5s away.

Links to things mentioned:

Preserve Gimme 5 program - they also have drop of locations if you live near one

Earth911.com - search for a recycling location - I also added their widget at the bottom of the page

Salvage America - Greensboro recycling and buyback center

Happy Recycling!

No comments:

Post a Comment